Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Success!

I started to train for my first half marathon over 3 years ago. I got about halfway through my training program and realized that I hate running, so I gave up.

Last year, some friends in my church group were adopting a baby and participated in the Chosen Marathon to help them raise money. It was for a good cause, and several of my friends were doing it, so I figured I would try again and do the half marathon with them. This time we trained to walk it, which was much more pleasurable than running.

We walked 10 miles the weekend before the race and were ready to go. Then 2 days before the half marathon, I had to have my gall bladder removed. I was still in the hopsital the day of, so needless to say, I didn't get to finish.

I vowed that I would run it next year though. I started training again in January (race was in October), but new that if I didn't have a sooner goal, I would give up again. So I decided to train for one in July. (I live in Texas where it usually hits over 100 most days in July, not one of my brighter ideas)

I researched running, and how to avoid injuries. I decided that I could do run/walk intervals. That sounded great to me. I could avoid injuries, finish faster than walking, and it wasn't as tiresome as running the whole thing.

This Saturday, despite the heat and humidity, I finally finished my 1st half marathon in 2 hours and 29 minutes!

Now to start training for the Chosen in October...

www.howisurvivedmyhusbandsbraininjury.com

No comments:

Post a Comment