Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Perfect Timing

When you look around at the world, it's really a sad site. If you watch the news, it relays very little positive. Instead, it's a parade of shootings, natural disasters, crime, and destruction. I'm on a prayer team at my church, and there is so much pain and suffering that I pray for. Cancer, death, divorce, drug and alcohol addiction, illness...everywhere I look, there is pain and suffering.

Instead of praying for healing, sometimes I just want to pray for Christ to return.

The Bible says that the end times will come like labor pains. As it gets closer to His return, disaster gets worse and closer together. When I look around I see earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, school shootings, murders of innocent children. I can't help but think that it has to be coming soon.

I remember the words of Solomon in Ecclesiastes "meaningless, meaningless, everything is meaningless." "There is nothing new under the sun." We go to school and work our whole lives so that we can retire and have time off, but by then we're too tired to do anything about it. After 12 chapters of describing life and everything in it as utterly meaningless, Solomon concludes that the purpose to life is to "follow God and keep His commands."

Our purpose in life is to follow God, to share His Word, His love, with others. That is the only purpose to life. We all have different ways of going about it, but that is what we are here for.

But I can't help but wonder, when will He return? What is taking so long? It's been over 2000 years, isn't it time to come back already?

I prayed hard for this for about a week. Constantly asking, why He hasn't come back yet. I went over every possible answer that I could think of and came up with a solution for it. The only one that held any weight for me was that He was waiting for more people to know Him first. But He's God. Yes we have free will, but He also knows what our choice will eventually be. So if He already knows the choice we're going to make, can't he just speed it up a little? Can't He just take the ones He knows will choose Him and come back now?

After about a week of this, God finally answered. It's the same answer that He gives me for many of the questions I ask. "My timing is perfect, just trust me."

I always try to rush God. I think I have the perfect plan, and if God would just listen to me, then it would make things so much easier. But again, God knows what I can't even comprehend. God sees what I can't. He knows that if He waits another hour, day, week, year, millennium, it will be better (for some reason that I can't understand) than if He came back now.

I just have to be patient.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not depressed, or suicidal. I have joy and peace in my life. I have a great life. I am blessed. But to be in the presence of God? Not just feeling Him near, but actually standing before Him...I can't even imagine how amazing that will be.

I look forward to that day. But in the meantime, I will continue to fulfill my purpose. I will continue to share about how great my God is, how much He has done for me. He has proven time and time again in my life, that His timing is perfect. I just have to keep trusting Him.

www.howisurvivedmyhusbandsbraininjury.com

No comments:

Post a Comment