Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Rome

I've been reading a book series called "Mark of the Lion" by Francine Rivers. It's a Christian fiction series set in Rome during 1st Centruy A.D. Super good, highly recommend!

In the book though, it describes Rome at its peak, before it fell. It reminds me a lot of America today. The people were consumed with self-indulgence. Their focus was on "me". Just as my generation has been labeled the "me generation".

In that time, promiscuity was commonplace. Abortion was not frowned upon. Homosexuality was rampant. People spent their money on pleasures of the flesh. They held parties and drank themselves happy.

Sounds all too familiar if you ask me. When Rome became so proud, they thought they couldn’t be defeated, that’s when they fell. And we are headed for the same fate.

As a nation, America has turned her back on God. We are pursuing pleasures of the flesh. Money, cars, houses, position, careers, possessions, physical pleasures. We look down on those less fortunate than us, thinking it’s their own fault they didn’t do more with themselves. We choose convenience over right and wrong.

And if we don’t do something to change that, we are headed for the same fate. Rome isn’t the only nation this has happened to. Just look throughout history. Nations rise, they become proud, they fall. Look through the Old Testament. It is the same story over and over. God’s people follow Him until He gives them prosperity. Then they turn their back on Him and pursue their own desires. They are taken captive by another nation, and punished until they turn back to God again and start the cycle over.

Have we learned nothing from thousands of years of history repeating itself? When will we ever learn? We continue to pursue the pleasures of this world trying to fill a hole that was meant for Christ. If we would just turn to Him, go against what society says is right, we will find the fulfillment we are looking for.

It comes from emptying ourselves, not filling up with worthless things. It comes from giving of ourselves to others, not from taking everywhere we can. It comes from surrendering our lives to Christ and doing His will, not trying to find purpose on our own.

Our purpose is to serve and share the Gospel. Until we realize that, until we turn from the ways of the world, we are headed for the same fate as every other nation in history. You may not be able to change the world, or even the nation, but you can surrender to God and watch Him work miracles.

I'm by no means perfect, but I recognize that I am sinful and in need of a Savior. I am saved by grace. Out of gratitude for that saving grace, I surrender my life to Christ and allow Him to change me. Because I recognize that I can do nothing to earn or deserve my salvation, I strive to live my life for Christ. I do this not because it makes me any better or more deserving, but because I am so overwhelmed with God's love for me, that I want to love Him back. And the way He tells us to show Him love is by loving others, not ourselves.

It's time for a change, so what are you going to do about it?

www.howisurvivedmyhusbandsbraininjury.com

No comments:

Post a Comment