Wednesday, January 29, 2014

I did it!

If you've read my book, you might remember me referring to my attempt at training for a half marathon. I gave up training because it was too hard, and made the comparison to taking care of my husband. I didn't know how I was going to keep up the strength because it just required more than I had.

Well let me give you a little update...not only did I get through the most difficult days with Jeff, but I completed a half marathon. Not just one though, but 2 half marathons. Then this weekend, I completed a FULL marathon, that's 26.2 miles!



These are all accomplishments I never thought I would achieve. There where many times I wanted to give up. Times I thought, I couldn't go any further. But I just kept pushing through. I kept thinking, "just a little further".

With Jeff, there wasn't a clear goal in mind, but I knew I just had to make it through one more day. I couldn't focus on the end because I didn't know what it looked like. I just had to get through that moment. And now, he's amazing, and so is our marriage. We got through something we never thought we could survive.

With the marathon, I focused on the finish line. I just had to keep putting one foot in front of the other. Now, I can say I did it!

If I can keep running when every ounce of energy is gone, and every part of my body is screaming at me to stop...If I can make it through my husband's traumatic brain injury, and find joy through the journey...then I can do anything!

I didn't accomplish any of this because I'm "strong". I did it because I leaned on God in the hardest times, and had determination. I am no stronger than you. You can do anything you put your mind to, you just need to know where your strength comes from, and it's not from within yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment